Los Angeles Dodgers turn the tables on Arizona Diamondbacks in 7-2 win

first_imgGonzalez hit another three-run home run in the seventh inning of the Dodgers’ 7-2 win. He matched a career high with six RBIs, giving him 100 for the season and bringing him within four of National League RBI leader Giancarlo Stanton.“Adrian came up with some big hits for us,” Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp said. “He was the offense today.”Kemp followed Gonzalez’s second home run with a solo shot of his own to provide the final score. The back-to-back home runs off Oliver Perez were the first by a pair of Dodgers teammates since May.Andre Ethier was up next, and he was hit square in the back by a slider. Both benches were warned, which prompted Dodgers manager Don Mattingly to visit home-plate umpire Scott Barry.“To me, if you’re going to give warnings you don’t give warnings until after,” Mattingly said. “Nobody’s saying that we’re going to do anything. I think we’re smart enough to know that he hit him with a breaking ball.” Sunday was a tale of two games at Dodger Stadium.The first game lasted five innings, and it was arguably the best Trevor Cahill has thrown in a year. The Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher, who was designated for assignment earlier this season, didn’t allow a hit until Dee Gordon doubled in the sixth inning.That touched off the second game, when the only way to get a Dodger player out was to eject him from Dodger Stadium.Cahill lost the no-hitter, the shutout, and the game in the span of three batters. After Gordon doubled, Hanley Ramirez walked and Adrian Gonzalez clubbed a tape-measure home run to center field. “It’s a slider, man,” added Kemp. “I don’t know why they give warnings there.”Mattingly had barely left the dugout by the time Barry ejected him, the third time he’s been ejected this season. Clayton Kershaw, who was shouting from the top step of the dugout, was also ejected by second-base umpire Laz Diaz.Needless to say, the second game was crazier than the first.Besides the immediate thrill of sweeping the Diamondbacks before an announced crowd of 43,460, the Dodgers’ win established a trend.In 14 games since Aug. 22, Gonzalez is batting .365 with five home runs and 15 RBIs. He has a hit in all of those games but three.In 14 games since Aug. 22, Kemp is batting .346 with four home runs and 12 RBIs. He has a hit in all of those games but one.The two players rank first and second on the team in home runs (Gonzalez has 22, Kemp 19) and RBIs (Gonzalez 100, Kemp 68).The two veterans have been through their share of valleys too — more valleys for Kemp since his near-MVP season of 2011. But the two are leading by example in September, which is a testament to their work ethic as much as their talent.“It’s good for everybody to know you can be consistent year in and year out,” Gonzalez said. “I think this game is about the manager and front office knowing what they’re going to get from a guy. For me it’s just about working hard and keep grinding it out every day.”Dodgers starter Zack Greinke (14-8) allowed two runs in six innings. He walked three batters and struck out four. Greinke had particular reason to compliment Kemp.Arizona had loaded the bases in the second inning when Kemp threw out Alfredo Marte trying to tag up and score on a fly ball to medium-deep right field. It was his fourth outfield assist this season. “That was amazing,” Greinke said.Kemp also made a diving catch in right field of a Cody Ross line drive to end the eighth inning. Cahill (3-11) suffered his fourth loss at Dodger Stadium. All four losses have come this season.With 81 wins, the Dodgers are guaranteed to finish no worse than .500. For that they can thank the Diamondbacks, whom they beat in 15 of 19 head-to-head games this season.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

La Prensa publishes blank front page to protest Nicaraguan government

first_imgLa Prensa, Nicaragua’s oldest newspaper, had a blank front page this Friday for the first time in its 93 years. The special front page was protesting the government’s refusal to deliver imported ink and paper.“Have you wondered about living without information?” This is the headline at the bottom of the blank page. The newspaper’s stationery and other supplies have been held up in Customs since September.The newspaper released the following on its second page, which worked as a cover for the publication: “La Prensa Editorial has decided to release this publication today (Friday) which marks 20 weeks since the General Directorate of Customs began retraining raw material from our company that arrived in Nicaragua in September 2018.”The newspaper, which has a critical approach towards Ortega’s government, reported that “customs blocking” risks their future publications and qualifies as a “threat to the freedom of speech and access to information of Nicaraguans.”The seizure also affects the newspaper Hoy, a popular media outlet created in 2003 that’s also part of La Prensa Editorial group.Daniel Ortega’s government hasn’t commented on the Customs retention of the newspapers’ essential materials. A vendor selling newspapers holds an edition of “La Prensa” (R) which on January 18, 2019 published its cover in blank in protest against the refusal by the General Directorate of Customs (DGA) to hand over paper and ink imported by the Editorial La Prensa group, in Managua. Inti Ocon / AFPLa Prensa says that Customs has retained $132,000 worth of materials since September, including 92 tons of paper, printing plates, glue and photo developing equipment.They stated that if the government does not deliver the material, La Prensa and Hoy will be forced to report exclusively through their digital platforms.Nicaragua’s independent press has been under government siege for reporting on the protests against Ortega that started on April 18, 2018. According to humanitarian groups, the government crackdown on protests led to 325 deaths and more than 600 people arrested.Two well-known journalists are among those arrested: Miguel Mora, the director of the closed private channel 100% Noticias, and its press director, Lucía Piñeda. According to humanitarian groups, both are being exposed to abuse in jail.The Violeta Barrios de Chamorro Foundation registered over 700 attacks against the press since the crisis began nine months ago.This article was translated by Ariana Arguedas Bermúdez.Join The Tico Times 5 % Club. If only 5 percent our readers donated at least $2 a month, we’d have our operating costs covered and could focus on bringing you more original reporting from around Costa Rica.We work hard to keep our reporting independent and groundbreaking, but we can only do it with your help. Join The Tico Times 5% Club and help make stories like this one possible.Support the Tico Times Facebook Comments Related posts:As Nicaragua elections approach, banned opposition decries Ortega’s budding dictatorship Threats against independent journalists in Nicaragua continue Nicaraguan-Costa Rican journalist Lucía Pineda jailed and accused of inciting terrorism in Nicaragua More than 60,000 people flee Nicaragua crisis: UNlast_img read more