NASCAR race weather: Will rain in forecast delay the Daytona race again?

first_imgMORE: Watch the Coke Zero Sugar 400 live and on demand with fuboTV (7-day trial)The postponed race is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, but that may be unlikely. According to, the forecast includes a 35 percent chance of thunderstorms beginning at 2 p.m. and fluctuates up to a high of 50 percent at 5 p.m. before finally dissipating to just a 15 percent chance of rain at 8 p.m..According to AccuWeather meteorologist Alan Reppert, “”It looks like a similar set up on Sunday as storms are expected to fire in the afternoon and evening across the area. The storms will be slow-moving, and could once again cause delays.” Brian Neudorff, who provides weather forecasts for all NASCAR races, said, “As the afternoon wears on more & more storms form over the region from isolated to scattered to large clusters like Saturday. I anticipate at least one weather related delay.”Fox Sports NASCAR reporter Bob Pockrass said that since showers will intensify later in the day, NASCAR moved up the green flag to 1:04 p.m. ET.Friday’s Xfinity race was delayed two hours because of storms and the Monster Energy Cup Series had its qualifying canceled. Joey Logano will start on the pole for the Coke Zero Sugar 400. If there’s one thing you can count on in Florida during the summer months, it’s rain, and it appears as though precipitation is going to affect the Coke Zero Sugar 400 on Sunday at Daytona International Speedway, just one day after weather forced the postponement of the race originally scheduled for Saturday night.The weather threatening Sunday’s race at Daytona could be more than just rain, though. Strong storms with lightning, scattered throughout the afternoon, were forecast for the area.last_img read more