Wapiti River human remains identified

first_imgThe remains found last week in the Wapiti River in Grande Prairie have been identified.The Medical Examiner has confirmed that the remains were those of 23 year-old Jason Giesbrecht, who was last seen on May 4th of this year.Shortly after his disappearance, the Grande Prairie RCMP reported that Giesbrecht and a female passenger were driving a ‘side by side sport recreational utility vehicle’ through or near the Wapiti River on May 4th. – Advertisement -The strength of the current overcame their vehicle. However, the 25 year-old female passenger managed to get out of the SRUV just before it rolled, and swam safely to shore. Dogs, boats, quads, and a helicopter were used in the search, but searchers couldn’t locate Giesbrecht. The Giesbrecht family along with the RCMP, say they appreciate the assistance extended by the community, volunteers, and partnering agencies, all of whom dedicated countless hours to the search for Jason.Advertisementlast_img read more

President, Opposition Leader must urgently settle on new GECOM Chair – CCJ

first_imgThe Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), this afternoon, ruled that the President and the Leader of the Opposition must settle on a new Chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) with the utmost urgency.The CCJ made no order in this regard considering the fact that Justice (rtd) James Patterson has already resigned following the Court’s June 18 judgment that his appointment was in breach of Guyana’s Constitution.There is currently a breakdown in talks between the Government and the Opposition on the issue. The matter has since been referred back to the President and the Leader of the Opposition to resolve.More details in the Saturday, July 13, 2019 edition of the Guyana Times.last_img read more

Districts don’t know if they owe

first_imgThe question of whether school districts in the Antelope and Santa Clarita valleys will have to reimburse the state as much as $15million for the construction of special-education classrooms remains unresolved. State officials had told school officials that no reimbursement would be required under a new law, but attorneys for one state agency later issued an opinion saying otherwise, district officials said. “Our impression was that things were going to be dealt with administratively in our favor, and then the attorneys for the State Allocation Board told the (Office of Public School Construction’s) implementation committee that they interpreted the law as retroactive,” Newhall School District Superintendent Marc Winger said. “That set us all back again.” State officials had a different perspective, however, and said there had been a misunderstanding. The districts would not face liability unless they agree to it. “No liability would occur unless they agree to transfer eligibility back to the county and take title to the facilities,” said Rob Cook, deputy director of the Department of General Services. “No one can unilaterally force the liability on the school districts. The districts would have to accept the liability.” District officials say the new law would unfairly penalize them for taking over from Los Angeles County the special-education programs for severely disabled students several years ago. Assembly Bill 2947 would require districts to repay the state for part of the cost of constructing special-education classrooms that were built with 100percent state funding given to the Los Angeles County Office of Education when it ran the programs. Ten Antelope Valley school districts stand to lose more than $12million. Four elementary districts in the Santa Clarita Valley face losing $2.3million, based on the number of classrooms that were built, officials said. The classrooms were built in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and the special-education programs were transferred from the county Office of Education to the districts from 2000 to 2004. At the time, school officials said the districts had grown to such a point that they commanded the resources to assume responsibility for providing such services. The bill says if the county transfers title of the classrooms to the districts within 10 years of their occupation, then the districts would have to pay the state back. The county still has title to the classrooms but wants to transfer it to the districts because the law says the county’s eligibility for special-education school construction funding, which was hurt by the transfer, can’t be restored until the title transfer occurs. Winger says he believes the State Allocation Board and Office of Public School Construction are trying to avoid penalizing the Santa Clarita and Antelope Valley school districts. “But they were pretty candid that they have a law, signed by the governor, and have to do something to implement that law,” he said. Another option is legislation proposed by state Assemblywoman Sharon Runner, R-Lancaster, Winger said. The districts also have a legal opinion from their own attorneys that the law, if implemented, would constitute a breach of contract, Winger said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Evacuation alerts rescinded for Baldonnel residents

first_imgDAWSON CREEK, B.C. — The evacuation order for Baldonnel residents issued on Monday has been rescinded by the PRRD.An evacuation alert is still in place for these areas:North of the junction of 238 Road and 249 RoadNorth along 249 Road to 242 RoadEast to 245 Road encompassing residents on both sides of the roadSouth to the 238 RoadIf necessary, an Evacuation Order could be reissued.- Advertisement -For more information contact the Peace River Regional District at 250 784-4838 or 250 784-3200.last_img read more

Poll: Kane, Vardy or Lukaku – which striker should Man United buy in January?

first_img Louis van Gaal 1 Manchester United drew a blank again on Saturday – the sixth time they have done so this season – and Louis van Gaal is being tipped to launch a big-money move for a striker in the January transfer window.Tottenham’s Harry Kane is reportedly United’s top target but Drivetime want to know which of the Premier League’s form hitmen you would like to see at Old Trafford…last_img

Borussia Dortmund backed to beat Liverpool in Europa League clash – Coral DD

first_imgDave Stevens joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.It’s a night which promises to rekindle the great nights under the Anfield lights as Liverpool take on Borussia Dortmund in the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final – with the tie delicately poised at 1-1.Liverpool are EVEN MONEY to qualify for the semis, but Borussia Dortmund are the 4/5 favourites to progress.In teams of 90 minute betting, Dortmund are again favourites at 7/5, while Liverpool are 19/10 and the draw is 13/5.Stevens also brings us the latest Champions League and FA Cup odds, after Man United beat West Ham on Wednesday to seal their semi-final place.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfastlast_img read more

DDTV: GAA STARS BRING ANGLO-CELT HOME TO DONEGAL TOWN

first_imgThe atmosphere was electric in the late hours of Sunday and early hours of Monday as Donegal’s GAA heroes returned home with the Anglo-Celt Cup after beating Derry by six points in Clones.This video captures the atmosphere. Click to play. DDTV: GAA STARS BRING ANGLO-CELT HOME TO DONEGAL TOWN was last modified: July 18th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal GAADONEGAL TOWN HOMECOMINGDonegal v Derrylast_img read more

FEMALE PATIENTS ‘BETRAYED’ OVER NEW GYNAE SERVICES AT LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL

first_imgFEMALE patients at Letterkenny General Hospital have been “betrayed” by new measures being put in place to treat women there, it has been claimed.Insiders are furious that gynae patients now being treated on general wards have their names written up on information boards.They say they were assured that the services provided by nurses would stay the same – that they would just be moved to other wards. “But it isn’t the same,” said one source, “it is now clear that male nursing staff will be treating women who have, for example, miscarried.“We are not for one minute questioning the integrity of the male staff at Letterkenny General; it’s just that the Gynae ward was a haven for women, most of whom would prefer to be dealt with by female staff.“At the weekend there was just one nurse available for six gynae patients.“But the most appalling aspect of moving these services relates to the posting of names on nursing information boards. “In the gynae ward this never happened. The nurses knew who they had in the ward and for privacy this just wasn’t the case.“Now gynae patients in Ward 2 are having their names written up.“This shows a shocking lack of sensitivity.”Asked about the claims last night, campaigner Linda Cullen, who wants the ward which was closed at the weekend to be re-opened, said: “We would call for an immediate review of the gynae services.“The hospital has made promises on several issues, insisting that services would stay and that they were just being transferred. “Already we have had a breach of one of the most precious things women appreciated in Gynae; their anonymity. I would call on hospital manager Sean Murphy to explain this publicly.”The new Emergency Department at the hospital opens today.FEMALE PATIENTS ‘BETRAYED’ OVER NEW GYNAE SERVICES AT LETTERKENNY HOSPITAL was last modified: September 13th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:FEMALE PATIENTS ‘BETRAYED’ OVER NEW GYNAE SERVICES AT LETTERKENNY HOSPITALlast_img read more

ARE YOU DONEGAL’S NEXT SINGING STAR?

first_imgDonegal Youth Choir Auditions are being held this weekend.The choir is growing from strength to strength since its formation just a few years ago and is a great outlet for young adults to build confidence and explore their creativity.The group has enjoyed numerous performances throughout Donegal in venues such as An Grianán Theatre, Balor Arts Centre and The Abbey Centre. Members have also had the opportunity to work with members of the Irish Youth Chamber Choir. Led by Sara Laughlin, the choir rehearses on Sunday afternoons in the Regional Cultural Centre in Letterkenny and has members from across the County. Open to boys and girls from ages 14 to 25, membership is by audition.The choir is currently auditioning for new members. Auditions will be held on Sunday 15 September in the Regional Cultural Centre, Letterkenny, from 2 – 3.30pm, and you are required to prepare one piece to perform at the audition.If you enjoy singing and would like to be a part of this vibrant young group then come along and audition!• Open to 14 – 25 yr olds, male and female • A great opportunity to meet other singers• Improve singing technique and performance skills• Build confidence• While an ability to read music is desirable it is not compulsory to become a member.• Enjoy a range of performance opportunities. The VEC also have Junior (7 – 10yr olds) and Intermediate Choirs (11 – 13 yr olds) in Carndonagh, Letterkenny, Dungloe and Carrick.For further information, contact Donegal Music Education on:-074 917 6293 / email musiceducation@donegalvec.ie / www.dmep.ieARE YOU DONEGAL’S NEXT SINGING STAR? was last modified: September 10th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:auditionsdonegal youth choirRCClast_img read more

Inishowen Flooding: Families availing of humanitarian aid figures released

first_imgTD Joe McHugh has announced that 135 people have availed of Stage 1 Humanatarian Aid funding since the Inishowen flood on August 22.Figures given to the Donegal TD by Social Protection Minister Regina Doherty also show that 13 householders have received Stage 2 payments with another 23 payments currently being processed.The first of the Stage 3 payments was made this week. Minister McHugh said Social Protection Staff have also made 36 home visits at the request of homeowners.“In the days immediately after the flood it was important that those affected got the initial emergency funding under Stage 1 of the programme of relief set up by the Government,” said the Donegal TD.“The initial stage was to provide emergency income support payments for things like food and clothing in the aftermath of the flood and payments were made immediately.“So far 13 people have received payments under the second stage with another 23 being processed – and payments pending – to cover items like furniture and other essential household items. It is important that those affected know this stage is open now and they should contact the DSP offices in Buncrana and Carndonagh to make a claim. “The third stage is also open with longer term financial support to carry out works such as plastering, dry-lining, relaying of floors, re-wiring and painting. Many homeowners won’t be at this stage yet but it’s important they know it is there for them when they are ready to to avail of the scheme.”Minister McHugh said leaflets explaining the financial supports across a range of areas have been sent to every home in Inishowen.He said while the payments are means-tested, the level of access is high – with full payments made for those earning €70,000 or less; with even those above that threshold seeing just small adjustments in the benefits.The recently announced aid package to farmers will see claim forms available early next week, with payments of up to €15,000 available.The Red Cross will administer aid to small businesses and voluntary groups. The Fine Gael TD for Donegal added: “It’s very important that all those affected by flooding in Inishowen know we are there to support them and help them, not just now but in the weeks and months ahead. I once again want to urge all those affected by flooding to seek financial support in the days ahead.”Inishowen Flooding: Families availing of humanitarian aid figures released was last modified: September 9th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalFLOODINGhumanitarian aidred crosslast_img read more

Older Posts »