National consortium aims to finish local COVID-19 vaccine in 18 months

first_imgPrevious research identified at least three different types of coronavirus strains affecting the world – types G, S and V. Ali said that many samples sent from Indonesia apparently did not match the aforementioned three types, meaning that scientists had to develop local vaccines to combat the coronavirus strain in the country.The whole genome sequencing is part of the initial stage of vaccine development, as it will allow scientists to determine the complete RNA sequence of specific coronavirus strains. Subsequently, scientists will be able to detect the antigen of the virus strain in Indonesia.Apart from doing the sequencing, Indonesia is also collaborating with several countries, including South Korea, to develop a vaccine.Local pharmaceutical company PT Kalbe Farma, for example, is working with a South Korean company for the development of a vaccine using a DNA virus platform. “Phase two of the project’s clinical trial is scheduled for August 2020,” Ali said.Topics : Indonesia’s national consortium for COVID-19 vaccine development is aiming to finish its work within the next 18 months in an effort to eradicate the coronavirus in the country.”Vaccines usually take years to develop. However, given the emergency situation, we are currently expected to develop local vaccines in around 18 months,” consortium chairman Ali Ghufron Mukti said during a press conference on Thursday.He said the country had submitted 16 complete genome sequences of Indonesian strains to GISAID, an initiative that promotes the sharing of genetic data on influenza viruses and the coronavirus. Three of them have so far been classified as “unidentified strains”, while one was identified as “type G”.last_img read more

Tarragindi home with spectacular city views

first_imgThe home at 46 Effingham St, Tarragindi.This modern masterpiece was built for the growing family. Dan and Kylie Murphy raised three children at 46 Effingham St, Tarragindi and have loved calling the five-bedroom residence home for the past decade.“I wanted a modern house that would be good for the family for 10 years and that’s what we got,” Mr Murphy said. Built in 2007, the home is on a 708sq m block and has 180-degree views. On the ground floor there are four bedrooms with built in robes to three, a bathroom with separate shower and bath, and a media room that opens through bi-fold doors to the backyard. The poolside entertaining area at 46 Effingham St, Tarragindi.On the lower level there is storage space, a 480-bottle wine cellar, 135,000 litres of concealed water storage and a large laundry. Mr Murphy said the property was great for entertaining. “We’d host a Christmas party every year which kept getting bigger and bigger,” he said. The family will miss the Tarragindi area.“Tarragindi has a really strong community that retains some of that old charm of neighbourhoods gone by,” Mr Murphy said. The home is being marketed by Michelle Huston and Mark Kearns of Ray White Moorooka. The living area with city views at 46 Effingham St, TarragindiOutside, there is a covered entertaining area with outdoor kitchen overlooking the inground swimming pool and lawn area. More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020Upstairs there is an open-plan living, dining and kitchen area with bi-fold windows looking out to city views. The kitchen has a butler’s pantry, dumb waiter from the garage, island bench and stainless steel appliances.The master bedroom has a walk-in robe and ensuite with dual basins and there is a third bathroom on this level. A mezzanine level between the ground and second floors includes a L-shaped front veranda and multipurpose room. last_img read more

GasLog Partners eyes $97 mln in latest share sale

first_imgImage courtesy of GasLog PartnersGasLog Partners has decided to put up 4 million of its Series B Preference Units for sale at a price of $25 per unit to the public. The pricing follows the company’s decision to offer the Series B Preference Unit for sale in order to secure funds for future acquisitions from its parent company GasLog.The net proceeds from the offering after deducting underwriting discounts and commissions are expected to be approximately $97,016,950.The partnership plans to use the net proceeds from the public offering for general partnership purposes, which may include future acquisitions, debt repayment, capital expenditures and additions to working capital.  GasLog Partners currently expect that this will include future acquisitions from GasLog.The underwriters have a 30-day option to purchase up to 600,000 additional Series B Preference Units from the partnership.The offering is expected to close on or about January 17, 2018.last_img read more

81% of Dominicans against legalization of same sex marriage

first_img Share LocalNews 81% of Dominicans against legalization of same sex marriage by: – May 21, 2012 Sharing is caring! Share Photo credit: topnews.aeWhile the President of the United States Barack Obama has openly supported the union of same sex marriage, the majority of Dominicans who participated in our recent poll are of the view that marriage should be sacred and between a man and woman.Dominica Vibes posted this question; “Should government support same sex marriages in Dominica” and an overwhelming 81% of our voters were opposed to that proposition.Over the past few years religious leaders have also shared their sentiments on that subject, focusing on homosexuality.Homosexuality is illegal in Dominica, though we have been a point of dock for a few “gay” cruises, one as recent as March which resulted in the arrest of two American citizens.Minister of Tourism Ian Douglass said Dominica does not market itself as a destination for people of any particular sexual orientation and there are laws governing the country, and it is expected that visitor will abide by them.12% of our readers however voted in support of the proposition for the government to legalize same sex marriage.This definitely remains a topic of interest which will continue to generate much debate and remain on the minds of citizens.The poll results are as follows:No (81%, 114 Votes)Yes (12%, 16 Votes)Indifferent (3%, 4 Votes)No Comments (3%, 4 Votes)Unsure (1%, 2 Votes)Total Voters: 140Dominica Vibes Newscenter_img 19 Views   no discussions Share Tweetlast_img read more

Aruna can’t afford to miss Tokyo 2020 – ATTF

first_img For the Olympic Games, El-Salhy said 86 men and 86 women are expected to compete at Tokyo 2020 with each country having two players each in men and women events. For now, Olajide Omotayo remains the only Nigerian that has qualified as Nigeria still has one more slot to be part of the tournament. “I completely believe that a top player like Aruna Quadri has a very big chance to join the African qualifiers through one of the remaining two stages of qualification due to his ranking and super performance whenever he recovers from his injury soon,” the ATTF boss said. Read Also:Aruna Quadri, Abiodun claim fifth Portuguese Super Cup “I have to admit that Aruna Quadri is a special top player in Africa and with his current ITTF ranking making him among the top 20 while his performance has shown worldwide in all previous World, Olympic, Continental and sanctioned events during the recent years. I think he cannot afford to miss the Olympic Games this year,” El-Salhy said. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Reacting to speculations over the possibility eventual qualification of Africa’s highest-ranked player for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, the ATTF President, Khaled El-Salhy said: “For sure the participation of Aruna Quadri in the Olympic Games is very important to ATTF as the top African ranked player and his expected super performance in such special event as he did in the last edition in Rio 2016. Normally he should have qualified in the African Qualification Tournament, unfortunately, he could not continue due to his sudden injury during the 3rd stage of group matches.” “Now the situation is that we have fulfilled two qualification stages (Team Qualification & Continental Qualification), then ATTF should work hard together with NTTF for the coming stages of qualification,” he added. According to ATTF chief, the first qualification for Quadri is to attend the final World Singles Qualifying Tournament which will be held in Qatar on May 28 to 31, with eight top players expected to qualify from the tournament. However, he said the last option which the Nigerian had met is through the June 2020 ITTF World Ranking with the top 13 players in the world expected to get their qualification through their world rating. Continental table tennis ruling body, African Table Tennis Federation (ATTF) has insisted that Nigeria’s Aruna Quadri is Tokyo bound based on his world rating. Loading… Promoted Content7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe15 Most Astonishing Staircases In The World7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterThe 18 Most Visited Cities In The WorldWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?He Didn’t Agree With His Character Becoming Gay And Quit A Role2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year8 Addictive And Fun Coffee Facts7 Train Stations In The World You Wish To Stay At LongerThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The WorldA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parkslast_img read more

Local Olympian

first_imgBy now you have probably heard that former Hidden Valley Lake resident, Nick Goepper, has qualified for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.  He is the top participant in an event called skiing slopestyle.  Like so many of the new Olympic events this is really acrobatics on a ski slope.  To classify this event you have to combine downhill skiing with the new snow boarding events popular in what are now called the X games.  If it weren’t done on snow, it would be close to the skate boarding tricks that young kids today like to do.Nick got his start at Perfect North Slopes.  Since no one in this area had any experience with this particular sport, he knew he would have to get to more traditional ski country.  Before it could happen, the young man had to convince his parents that he was serious in his desire to pursue this.  It meant leaving home while he was still in high school.  Not only was he a success, but he became #1 in the United States.  In the next 10 days we will know if he is the best in the world.  Good Luck, Nick!last_img read more

Robben reveals why he came out of retirement

first_img Read Also: Video: Liverpool stars wildly celebrate first ever EPL title win “If another club had come in with a good offer, I don’t think I’d have accepted it. “Of course, the difference in standard with Bayern Munich is big, but I’m doing it for the team and I hope I can enjoy myself.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Arjen Robben has explained why he has chosen to come out of retirement to play for Groningen. Arjen Robben The former Real Madrid and Bayern Munich winger retired from football last summer, but will now feature for his former club in the Eredivisie. “[I came out of retirement] for my love of the club,” Robben said about playing for Groningen again in a press conference. “If I can do something for the club, I think the area where I can be of most use is on the pitch. “Initially, we were talking about an attempt to return, but I feel quite good and I think I’m heading in the right direction.Advertisement “I still have to make a few more steps, but I have a very good feeling about my future. Promoted ContentPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show You7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better18 Cities With Neverending Tourist-Flow2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterThis Muslim Woman Belongs To World’s 10 Strongest WomenWhat Happens When You Eat Eggs Every Single Day?last_img read more

I hate to see others suffer – Kanu on Covid-19 charity drive

first_imgArsenal great Nwankwo Kanu has donated relief package to residents of his home town in Owerri as the coronavirus pandemic continues to shake the global economy. Food items, sanitisers, soaps and protective equipment were donated in Imo state’s largest city, as nearby cities will also benefit from this largesse in the coming days. Apart from that, several communities were educated on how the virus can be prevented and controlled by observing simple hygiene measures. The two-time African Player of the Year has opened up on why he is a vanguard of a philanthropic drive amid the lockdown in the eastern part of Nigeria. “I value life and more importantly I hate to see others suffer, so that was my major motivation for choosing to embark on this project,” Kanu told Goal. “This is my own little way of reaching out to the struggling families during this trying period and also to show them that my heart is always with them.Advertisement The coronavirus pandemic no doubt has left a hurtful effect on people. You will agree with me that while many have been rendered jobless, many find it very difficult to feed themselves. “So far, we have visited several communities to share food items and relief materials. God helping me and with the support of Nigerians, I hope to do more because I find joy putting smiles of people’s faces. “Alongside my team, we have also embarked on sensitization walks in both urban and rural areas for them to know that coronavirus is very real while demonstrating to them how to keep a healthy lifestyle as it concerns handwashing with soap and water. I believe we can limit the spread of the virus.” Since launching the Kanu Heart Foundation (KHF) in 2000, the foundation has saved the lives of more than 560 Nigerian children. read also:Sevilla confirm Uchenna Kanu’s exit 2020 marks the 20th anniversary of the foundation that is working tirelessly towards opening a specialist hospital in Abuja, but the outbreak of Covid-19 seems to have unsettled concluded plans to play a football game, have a dinner and a concert to raise funds. Even at that, the former Super Eagles captain claimed a statement will be released as soon as a decision is taken on the next line of action. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img Loading…last_img read more

Connacht pile on the points

first_img Press Association The home side were full of early running against a stiff Sportsground wind, a fifth-minute effort from the returning Tiernan O’Halloran helping them on their way to a 13-5 half-time lead. Treviso centre Sam Christie struck for a try before the break, but Pat Lam’s men had the bonus point in the bag by the 54th minute thanks to successive scores from Jake Heenan, Matt Healy and Denis Buckley. Connacht gave their bid to finish in the top half of the Guinness PRO12 a big lift with a 53-5 bonus-point win over Benetton Treviso. center_img Man-of-the-match Craig Ronaldson was near faultless off the kicking tee, pocketing 18 points from nine attempts, with Aly Muldowney, Healy and Danie Poolman completing the seven-try rout. The result moved the Irish province six points clear of the seventh-placed Scarlets, as the battle for European Champions Cup qualification intensifies. The Italian defence crumbled out wide in the opening minutes when Healy’s lovely run and snappy pass out of a tackle sent O’Halloran stepping through to score on his first start of the season. Ronaldson converted and then added a penalty on the quarter-hour mark after a spell of forward pressure. The visitors should have replied via good breakdown work from scrum-half Alberto Lucchese, but Jayden Hayward pushed the resulting penalty wide. Connacht kept the Italians out as they pressed for a try from a close-in penalty and the hosts’ solid scrum platform saw them build for a second successful penalty from excellent out-half Ronaldson. However, Treviso hit back in the 34th minute when Niyi Adeolokun and John Cooney were unable to stop Christie from close range, with Hayward missing the conversion from the left. A foot in touch denied winger Healy a quick try on the resumption, although the Connacht pack were in clinical form when a well-worked maul saw flanker Heenan crash over in the right corner. Ronaldson maintained his 100 per cent kicking return at that stage, brilliantly drawing in the difficult conversion off the left post. Try number three swiftly followed as Healy deservedly got over near the left corner flag, profiting from Poolman’s timely injection of pace in a back-line move. The province’s best maul of the night saw prop Buckley plunge over for the bonus-point score. And although they failed to prosper from hooker Tom McCartney’s eye-catching run, a short Ian Porter pass soon had the hard-working Muldowney reaching over the line. As the penalties stacked up, Treviso replacement prop Salesi Manu was sin-binned for a ruck infringement near his posts and Healy scored again, before Poolman outpaced the cover to get his side past the half-century points mark. last_img read more

Steven Gerrard: England would have reached a major final with Jose Mourinho in charge

first_imgJose Mourinho may be enduring one of his worst periods as Chelsea boss but he has a firm fan in former Liverpool great Steven Gerrard, who believes the Portuguese would have excelled with the Reds or even England. In his autobiography, which is being serialised by the Daily Mail, the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder wrote: “It was clear that, tactically, he could set up his team to win any football match… because he was a pure winner. But, more than that, he created a special bond with each squad he managed. “You heard it in the way his players spoke about him. You saw it in the way they played for him. “For me, the ideal situation would obviously have been for Mourinho to have managed Liverpool. He was linked with a move to Anfield a couple of times but it never materialised. I know I’m biased, but I think it would have been a perfect match. “The Liverpool fans would have loved him and he would have known exactly how to turn that love into adoration. He always told me about his deep respect for our supporters. Jose would have had a fantastic time bringing huge success to Liverpool.” Gerrard also believes Mourinho would have got the best out of England’s golden generation, which suffered quarter-final exits at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups as well as Euro 2004 under Sven-Goran Eriksson. “If Jose Mourinho had managed England in 2004 and 2006 I’m convinced we could have reached at least one major final,” added the 35-year-old. “Imagine what he could have got out of a group that included (David) Beckham, (Paul) Scholes, (Michael) Owen, (John) Terry, (Gary) Neville, (Wayne) Rooney, (Sol) Campbell, (Rio) Ferdinand, (Frank) Lampard, (Ashley) Cole, Gerrard and a few others.” The Blues lost 3-1 at Everton in Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off and have just four points to show from their opening five matches in the Barclays Premier League – their worst start to a top-flight campaign since 1986. But Gerrard, who was linked with a move to Chelsea in Jose Mourinho’s first tenure at Stamford Bridge, believes the 52-year-old is a high-quality manager and would have relished the opportunity to work under him at Merseyside. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Older Posts »